Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Geneva!

My first dining out experience in Geneva was...very enjoyable. We ate at Chez Marino Pizzeria which is at the intersection of Rue Des Eaux Vives (a big main street) and Rue Muzy. The ambiance (as Colby would say) was perfect. This little old Italian man who looked like part owner would walk around with a towel over his shoulder and sing (loudly) Italian songs as he walked pass each table. You would think that it'd be irritation but I found the lil guy endearing. A real taste of Italy. I ordered a 4 cheese pizza. The goat cheese on it was extra flavorful and I realized after the fact that my palette needed toppings (note to self). Anyone that knows me knows that I was terribly lost for 2 days without coffee so...drum roll please.........ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT. Thumbs WAY UP for the leading lady (Disney's Hercules...sorry for that outburst...that one was for you Ry). Anyway, it was so good that about an hour later I had to go across the street from Marino to Coffeeland and get more. Well, let's just say they are not playin around with the strength of their espresso. Well, I take that back. Here, they serve you straight espresso in a tiny cup and give you cream and sugar to fix it as you like it. Most coffee chains at home don't work like that. Most of what you're drinking is water or milk. But this is definitely to my liking. Cafe Intermezzo does something similar but not quite (at least I've never ordered it). Dining out gave me an opportunity to confirm some of the initial observations about Swiss inhabitants that I had started to make from the time we landed at the airport. If I may...my three observations: Observation # 1: The people are gigantic. It certainly isn't a bad thing, but I was inspired to research the ancestors of the Swiss (is it the Nordic peoples? I still haven't researched...the Internet just came back on) because it seems that all the men and women are well over 5'9! Observation # 2: The general expression is blank. It's not as if the people are void of personality, flare, or God forbid style (that's the next observation) but they look as if they are preparing for a photographer to jump out of the bushes a snap a photo. It's that pouty-I'm-not-really-concerned-about-you-because-I'm-a-timeless-European-god/goddess. Note to reader: Keep in mind these are just my observations! Observation # 3: Everyone is so stylish! The people of Geneva are definitely one up on the world. I noticed a lot of white: women wearing flowy white dresses at or above the knee, women and men in those nifty cotton or linen button downs, and lots of white linen pants as well. I must say it looks very fresh and clean. The women's shoes are to die for. The men wear their clothes fitted but not too tight. It's a very sophisticated look. Another thing I noticed was that the city of Geneva is rather diverse. Walking around I saw Hispanic, Asian, African, Italian, all kinds of people and many, many interracial relationships (which seem to be a norm). I'm assuming that when you have a similar cultural connection (just like in the States), it widens the door for a romantic connection which I think is very cool. Anytime people defy the arbitrary man made limits of the world, i.e. dating within the race, (which by the way limit an individual's opportunity to experience all that this one fleeting life has to offer) I get excited! I must be off to retrieve my bags (imaginary applause)...until next time...

2 comments:

  1. This is great to read! Now I can know what to expect. I liked the part about the diversity, because obviously that's important to me. And I'll have to get better clothes I guess(but you won't, because you're always fashionable)...*sings "OW! OWWWW!" song. Keep posting blogs sisterrrr!

    Buh-bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Mo! It makes me feel that the internet is truly connecting me to another part of the world. And yay, it's someone I care about. Lol.

    ReplyDelete