Monday, July 6, 2009

The weekend & Other things...



Alright all you avid readers...I'm back! Tonight my mother and I decided to go to McDonald's. I know what some of you are thinking...McDonalds in Switzerland? Not some beautiful cafe overlooking the water? Nope, the golden arches. Geneva, ranked 2nd next to Zurich for the highest quality of living, is rather expensive and even though 2 meals at McD's was 22 Francs it's a lot cheaper than a cafe! So, the menu is way more extensive than the States. They have shrimp for crying out loud! And sandwiches on Ciabatta bread! I ordered a bacon, and onion chicken sandwich sans the bacon with fries and tea. The tea was slightly bitter and watered down but I kinda liked it. It was a unique taste. The fries tasted old but suprisingly similar to American french fries. However, the inside of the McDonald's was my favorite part. It looked like the lounge area of a night club! There were lots of colors and couches over here circular little chairs and tables over there, arkwork and televisions...it was unlike any McDonald's I had ever seen. But I've noticed that people here take their time when dining. It's a real experience. And the eating places are designed for comfort and relaxation it seems. The concept of fast food, even at McDonald's, is rather nonexistent. The waitresses and waiters are not constantly checking in on you or asking you if you need anything (an observation my mom and I made and were very pleased by). If you do, you just holler and there they are, ready to serve. Typically, you find men and women just sitting, having a glass of wine (and smoking lots of cigarettes, often times blowing smoke right in your face) or drinking a cup of coffee speaking french really fast or german (you might even catch some Russian speakers!). And I like that. Sometimes we live life too fast. It's good to just spend a few hours letting your food digest and enjoying the company of others. Last night, my mom and I got a chance to do just that as we had dinner at, what's supposed to be, one of the best Pizzerias in the city. It was crowded but it was worth it. I had spaghetti with black olives, tomatoes, and basil with a little white wine...Hmp! C'etait excellent! But what was better was the tiramusi I stuffed my face with afterwards. Oh Lord...everyone needs to come to some place in Europe at least once in their lifetime if only to eat the food! Earlier in the day, we went to Heather's house to enjoy one of the best tennis matches in Wimbeldon's history (well, at least in my generation). It was rather funny that an American was playing a Swiss (I thought it was fitting). Andy, I want to publicly say, on behalf of the blogging world, you played magnificently. And then the tears he was fighting back at the end..ahhh, he played with heart and soul. It was so intense, Zoe (the cute little pup) had to leave the room! So the events keep coming. Tomorrow I think I'll take a jog along Lake Geneva and bring you thoughts and photos from the park. Until next time...and remember (my brand new saying), You don't have to have somewhere to go, to go somewhere...(it's just nice to have a destination, that's all)...LOVE LOVE LOVE!

1 comment:

  1. The new saying is amazing. I shall absorb it wholly. Loved this one too.

    ReplyDelete