Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Church of the Nations

Yesterday night, my mother and I went to The Church of the Nations for Wednesday Night Service. The intensity of God's Spirit in the place was one that I don't know I have ever experienced in my life. The praise and worship lasted for OVER an hour. And you would think that at some point you would start to say "OK, come on now, that's enough" but every time the praise team went to sing another song, the lyrics would speak to you so deeply that you started to wish that the song just wouldn't end. One of my favorites was, "There's nothing you can do to make Him love you more and nothing you have done could make Him close the door." And sometimes we as human beings do not fully understand that line. You can go to church every single day, fast every single month, have a bible for the office, for the purse, for home and it won't make God accept or deny you any more or any less. And regardless of any mistake that is made yesterday, today or tomorrow, as long as there is breath in your body, God continues to say "come on in, let me give you rest." And that's what's so beautiful about Him. He doesn't judge, He doesn't care about the sins. He doesn't even think about them, that's why He sent Jesus. His grace is available so that we can move from the sin debate and starting living the life He created us for. Standing, worshipping God in The Church of the Nations with Swiss people, African people, Indian, Asian, Arab people, I realized just how real He is. I realized just how precious, strong, beautiful and mighty. Nobody was concerned with what so and so was doing over here or what so and so was doing over there, we were all just dancing and singing and showing adoration to the only One who is always there. Even when we don't deserve it or even when we don't know it (lol), He's there, moving things out of the way and making plans and sending this Word and that job and fixing this marriage and that marriage and restoring childhood dreams and exposing the gifts and talents He's placed in His children. I realized that I'm done with debating God and Jesus. I'm tired of explaining my beliefs and trying to persuade someone to believe. Everyone should have an opportunity to experience the love and the acceptance that God provides. The peace He gives is unlike any other and when you praise Him and you live life His way because you want to and not because you have to...well...everything changes. I'm excited about this exposure. I'm excited to meet friendly new faces that are welcoming. After church, we walked to the Cornavin train station with Desire and Tymmo. After a spirited discussion for about 30-45 min. about the Congo, my feet (in the 4in. heels) were screaming for relief. It was quite refreshing, though, to speak about current issues. According to Tymmo, the solution is a better governing power structure, one that will take charge and provide education to the people, especially the women. Desire, on the other hand, takes into account the fact that women have many children to care for and that there is also a certain mentality that has spread the land like a plague, making many reform ideas virtually impossible. Understandably so, the mentality of an oppressed people is always quite complex and the answers to the tough questions never seem to be as black and white as we hope. So, we pray. And we keep talking and we keep encouraging people with wisdom, common sense, faith, hope and love to lead. My mother and I walked to the bus filled with amazement and awe about our enriching experiences. What in the world are we doing in Switzerland?? LOL I don't know but I'm loving every minute!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to know you are having a wonderful time in Switzerland, and completely understand what you mean about learning to just BE and take in everything at the moment. I'm happy for you in getting the chance to understand Him on a higher level. A sort of epiphany, I guess you can call it. Either way, I'm living vicariously through you at the moment and getting more and more exicted and eager for us to be reunited again and for you to inspire me like you always have.
    Enjoy the rest of your days in Europe and I'll be waiting (with journal in hand) for you to return!
    xo,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't many words that I can add to what has already been said, but if I may I will admit: I am sometimes one of those people. I spend a lot of time trying to fight God, and and make Him do what I want. And it must be funny to Him because He always wins. I need to meditate on the lyrics of that song you heard again. Because sometimes I think that God is punishing me for getting mad, or trying to align my will with His. I need to accept that God knows what He is doing and He is already making a way for me. Thank you Miss, for posting a Word I truly needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete